Birth of a child – Unmarried parents

Birth of a child – unmarried parents

If the child’s parents are not married, the mother will receive a letter from the parish
clerk, and you have to fill out an “omsorgs- og ansvarserklæring” (O/A) (declaration of
care and responsibility) which will give you joint custody.

You fill out the O/A at, and both parents have to sign with their NEM-ID. When the declaration is approved, notice will come in e-boks.

You must file the O/A no later than 28 days after the child is born.

If one or both parents do not have a Danish cpr-number, or a NEM-ID, you can print the form “Omsorgs- og ansvarserklæring” from On the front page you click on the top word at the left of the page “Fødsel” – on the next page in the top right corner, it will say “udskriv blanketter” click on this, and on the next page you will find the form to print. The first links on the page send you directly to, so you have to scroll down a little to find the paper form for printing.

The paper form must also be filled out and delivered to the parish office no later than 28 days after the child is born. Both parents sign the form, and two witnesses must attest that you are who you say you are, by signing as well. The dates on the 4 signatures MUST be the same – otherwise the paper is invalid. If you cannot find two witnesses, you can sign the paper at the parish office, and the clerk will be a witness.

If the parish office has not received an O/A 28 days after the birth of the child, the case of paternity is sent to Familieretshuset.They have up to 4 months processing time.

If one or both parents are not born in Denmark, and have not changed their name in Denmark, we need to see some papers so origin and spelling of names can be verified.


Birth-/Christening papers from the birth country


Passport from the birth country plus Danish residence permit (both)


Citizenship papers - If you are a Danish citizen, and cannot provide birth papers.

(Danish passport is NOT sufficient, as it is a print of the information we need to verify)

You can scan and email the papers to the church office


Verification has to be in order before the child can be named.


If you need a certificate for the child, you can go to any church office with your ID, and you will get one right away.

Note that the father will not be on the certificate, until paternity is established.


You are welcome to contact the parish office if you have any questions.